Saturday, July 03, 2010

Nature and Life and Going Home

My trip home to Georgia was wonderful. It was just what I needed. I got a chance to be outside and to retrace the paths that I walked as a child. It was very therapeutic and satisfied something within me. I hadn’t realized how much I needed that trip home. It’s a trip that I’m glad that I took (smile).

One thing that stuck out about this trip was how green everything was. For the past few summers, Georgia has had its share of drought-stricken weather. But this year, there has been more rain and it shows. As my sister drove me from the airport I kept thinking to myself how much all of the green reminded me of when I was growing up.

On one of my Saturday mornings there, one of my sisters and I decided to take an early morning walk for the exercise and also to enjoy the quiet of the morning. Right before I left the house, on my way to meet her, I thought that I should take along my camera and I’m glad that I did.

The sun was coming up and I caught a glimpse of it peeking through the dense green growth. The trees and bushes just looked so alive.





Here are a few of my sister’s flowers. I had to snap a few photos of them.



Here are some roadside flowers that I caught sight of too. I don’t know what they are, but they were so dainty and pretty.




Here are a few photos that I captured during our walk. I was snapping pictures of everything. LOL.




I loved looking over at the woods as we walked back towards home. I spent many days of my childhood running around those woods and God certainly had me protected because I was never snake-bitten or harmed (smile).



As I reminisced in my mind, I relished the simple life that I led as a child. It wasn’t always wonderful, but whose life is, you know (smile). Looking back, I’m just thankful for all of those experiences growing up…the good and the bad, because they molded me into who I am now. Life is such a blessing.

While I was home, one of my childhood friends passed away from cancer. She had had such a hard time. When I was on that walk, I thought about her and how we would walk from my house to hers back when we were girls. We lived in the same community, went to the same schools and church, and her family has known my family for years. Our paths had run parallel for a season of our lives. We hadn’t seen each other in quite a while, but when I heard about her passing, it hit my heart in a place potent with memories. And I will have those memories forever.

5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Hello Dori,
Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. My dad has had to be hospitalized twice during the past couple of weeks and I can't help taking that walk down memory lane. If he holds on, he'll be 71 on the 20th of this month.

Good or bad, in the end, all we have are our memories.

BTW...love the photos.

Alicia aka "Fashiona" said...

Hey Dori,
Sounds like you had a lovely trip. You are right...memories are the stuff of life.

A said...

I love Georgia, Dori. Atlanta, Savannah, the countryside, everything. And the people of Georgia are the nicest.
Happy 4th of July :-D

Mike Golch said...

Great photos,thanks for taking me along with you on your walk via the photos.my condolences on the passing of your friend.

Dori said...

Jacqueline,
Thank you dear :)
My prayers are with you, your dad and your family. Hugs to you.

Alicia,
That's so true...memories are indeed the stuff of life :)

Agnes,
I'm so glad that you love Georgia like I do :) I hope you had a great 4th of July too! Are you back home again?

Mike,
So glad you liked my photos! :) Thanks for your thoughts about my friend.