Saturday, March 20, 2010

Memories of Spring

(above)Spring blossoms from back home in Georgia, March 2006

Happy Spring everyone! :-) I know that it may still be cold in many places, but hey, the calendar says that spring has arrived so I’m onboard ;-) Even though it has been rainy here today in Wiltshire and it looks more like winter, I’m gonna be optimistic. After all, spring is a frame of mind as well as the true changing of the season. It’s renewal :-)

This day, in the past, has been a conflicted one for me in a way, because I love all of the optimism of a new spring and yet it’s the day also that my father passed away, many springs ago when I was a girl. I’d say in the last ten years though, I’ve made peace in my mind and made space for both thoughts of this day to exist in my head. I think of him every day as I do my mother. And on March 20th every year, he is very present in my thoughts. These days it’s easier than it used to be. Now I honor my memories of him and rejoice that it’s spring too. I feel as if the best way to honor his memory and my mother’s is to celebrate the life that they gave me and to be here to witness the renewal of life that spring brings :-)

My mother loved gardening and her flowers were her pride and joy. Her green thumb was legendary and I hope to be like her in that way one day. Every time I see a pretty garden here, I think…”Wow, Mama would love seeing this.” So spring makes me think of her getting excited and guiding me around the yard to see what she had “coming up”, as the young plants poked their heads out of the soil :-)

My father was a gardener too, but his area of expertise was growing vegetables. When I was really little, one of my FONDEST memories is of following along behind him as he dug holes in the soil and let me drop the seeds in. Even though the vegetables really did their thing in the summer, it was spring when the preparation for vegetable gardening would begin. I loved it!

So spring for me is about renewal, possibilities, and a whole lot of memories of the two people that gave me room to grow :-)

****

I also wanted to share a few springy photos. Some of you may remember that a couple of weeks ago, I shared a photo of our crocuses announcing spring a bit early. Well, I wanted to show you all what the flower pot looked like this past week. Things have definitely filled in and the daffodils are getting ready to bloom. I’ll share the daffodils when they open.

Here are the crocuses…..happy spring!!! :-)









8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet memories Dori ... it sounds as if the happy ones really outweigh the sad.

I understand ... there are so many things I see here that make me think about my dad and how much he would have loved coming to see me here. It's been almost 20 years and I still can hear his voice.

Unknown said...

renewal, growth, and fond memories of those we will always cherish...ah, spring...


peace,
mike
livelife365.com

Jacqueline said...

I wish all parents knew what children need most. (Happy Memories) You are blessed because you have many. What a beautiful legacy to leave behind.

Like you, I LOVE spring. For me, it symbolizes a rebirth, leaving all that's insignificant behind and starting fresh, with a clean slate. In other words, you have ANOTHER chance to live happy and free while being embraced by the warmth of the sun. :-)

SE'LAH... said...

Happy Spring, dearest Dori. I was just in GA a few weeks ago. Spring is definitely there.

Hope you are doing well. Thanks for always staying in touch.

one love.

RE - Entrepod said...

My My Dori, how you always bring up memories for me. my mom actually passed away on march 26 - but we kept her on lifesupport till family arrived a few days later. this time of year always brings up those memories for me too. my mother in law was at the same time 6 years later. spring renewal and loss, such a hard juxtaposition of memories. like your mom, my mom was also a great flower gardener. now when I see a beautiful garden I'll think of My Mom and Your Dad, tending it up in heaven for us to see down here.

A Happy Spring My Friend. The white Magnolias are getting ready to open and I know you remember the sweet smell of spring in georgia. I'll think of you when I'm pruning my garden this week.

Unknown said...

Hey Lovely,
Beautiful post! I know your parents are well pleased with you! It is awesome that such beauty reminds you of them!

Krystal Grant said...

I love spring. And your photos are beautiful. I left a gift for you on my blog....

Dori said...

Giftsofthejourney,
I know what you mean. I can still hear my parents voices too :) I guess that we are here as their daughters to see it all for them.

Mike,
So true :) Happy Spring!

Jacqueline,
You are so right...those happy memories last long after all of the 'things' that our parents may have given us. And yes, spring is wonderful and the renewal is all around :)

Se'lah,
Happy Spring! :) Yeah I was thinking the other day that things are probably in bloom back in Georgia. Thanks for letting me know. You have a wonderful day!

RE Entrepod,
You totally understand. That juxtaposition is a hard one indeed. I love the idea of our parents helping tend the gardens of Heaven :)

Happy Spring to you too! Oh I remember it well. Now that you said this I'm remembering our magnolia tree back home in my mind's eye :) Thanks for the visual and for taking me along with you.

Regina,
Hey there! So glad you liked my post :) You are so kind. Hugs to you.

Krystal,
Yes spring is so welcome and so beautiful :) Thanks so much. I'll be picking up the gift at your blog. I can't wait to participate :)