Friday, January 23, 2009

Things That Go Honk In The Night

Brit Boy and I were awakened twice in the early morning hours by the honking of our car alarm. Let me tell you, it was not a restful sleep at all, so we will both be zombies all day. It was hard to go back to sleep afterward each time because we would lie there wondering if it would happen again. This is not the first time this has happened. The first time was Saturday night. It happened in the middle of the night that time too and it really startled us. Coming out of a deep sleep with that blaring in your ears is a shock to the system in the middle of the night, let me tell you.

The first time it happened, our first thought was that someone was breaking into our car, and so we hopped up and looked out the window to see if anyone was running away. We didn’t see anyone. So we both got our shoes and jackets on and ran out quickly to stop all the noise so the whole street wouldn’t wake up. No sense in annoying the neighbors on top of everything else. As I ran out, I grabbed one of Brit Boy’s golf clubs just in case someone was waiting behind a bush or anything.

We didn’t see anyone, and Brit Boy stopped the alarm. The inside light was on, but all of the doors seemed to be closed. He did say that the ‘door ajar’ light was on, so who knows. It was all rather suspicious. When we came back inside, we waited a couple of minutes with the lights off to see if anyone came out of hiding after they thought we were back in bed, but there was no one. So we just took it as a fluke…an annoying fluke.

So last night, it started up again…twice. Our car is a used one and is not nearly as durable as our previous car which was destroyed when we were broadsided by a van and I got hurt. So we dearly miss our former car. Anyway, this one is okay, but it has its quirks that pop up from time to time. We are thankful to have a car…but we just wish it would calm down…our bank balance needs a break. It just seems that lately we have been having one thing after another happening.

By the way, today is a MONTH later and we are still waiting for our landlord to authorize getting our shower fixed. It is absolutely ridiculous. We have been having baths instead, but it’s time-consuming for everyday and then the water takes forever to come into the tub because the pipes are positively antiquated. The whole plumbing system just needs to be replaced, but oh well, such is the life of a renter :-)

Anyway, Brit Boy is going to come home a bit earlier today, so we are going to take a look at the car ourselves in the light of day. And then we’ll decide what to do about it. So wish us luck :-)

When we initially heard the alarm, we thought that it might be someone intent on stealing our car. Thankfully it wasn't. Still, I'm glad that the alarm was there to make us aware. Having a quality intruder alarm, whether it is in your car or in your house is the way to go!

11 comments:

Ivanhoe said...

That would scare the bejesus (sp?) out of me. I hope it's nothing serious.
Thank you for your beautiful comment you left at my place. I'm so glad I found you :o)
Have a great weekend, Dori!

Daisy Bookworm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney said...

Sorry Dori, that was me, my sister left herself logged into my computer! Anyway! I hope that stuff calms down for you!

Anne said...

That would scare the heck out of me. My car alarm went off this afternoon (while I was on the phone with a client of course) but I think it was the dog that set it off. Can you disable the alarm without disabling the locks? That might be better than getting it fixed.

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

It is really startling when something like that happens and the shower thing is beyond rude of your landlord. Hope you get the car thing fixed!

*lynne* said...

Oh my, yeah, being rudely awakened by your car alarm is NO fun! And it's only recently started doing this? How sensitive is the alarm? Maybe a cat jumping on it is triggering it? Because I'd hate to find out it's being caused by an incompetent robber who forgets that he's tried to break into the car already and keeps returning, LoL! :D

tamicks said...

Hope you get everything sorted out, and have a great weekend!!

Mountain Woman said...

Dori,
That would definitely scare me and I'd think there was someone trying to get in the car.
I can't believe your shower isn't fixed yet. Don't they have a place you can file a complaint over there?
I hope you have a great weekend and get some rest.

Dori said...

Ivanhoe,
Yeah,it scared the heck out of us. It seems that it may be something mechanical. We messed around with it and we'll see how it goes. So far it has been okay. Fingers crossed.

And the comment was a pleasure to leave. You're great and I'm glad I found you too my friend:-) Have a great weekend!

Courtney,
Thanks for the good wishes. Keep your fingers crossed for us :-) Have a great weekend!

Anne,
Yeah, we both got our first grey hairs right then :-) We have been tinkering with it so hopefully this will sort it out. You're right, we are gonna leave getting it fixed as a last resort :) Have a great weekend!

Health Nut Wannabee Mom,
You're right, that landlord is a REAL piece of work. LOL. Finally though, all of our not going away worked and they are supposed to get here to fix it this coming week. Yeah! Thanks for the support. Have a fab weekend! :)

Lynne,
Yeah, the alarm thing just started out of nowhere and the car doesn't look like anybody tried to get in. We wondered if it was a cat too since there are a couple on our street. We checked some of the connections on the car and so hopefully this will help. And hey, I thought the same thing...I wondered if some thick skulled fool was trying to break into the same car and failing each time. LOL. Have a great weekend! :)

Tamicks,
Thanks for the support. Have a great weekend! :-)

Mountain Woman,
Yeah, it freaked us out. Things in the middle of the night just send your mind all over the place. Then the annoyance set in :-) And thankfully we got a go ahead on our shower. We wouldn't let up. LOL. They got tired of us and they are coming next week. If they hadn't finally got in gear, the complaint was our next call, believe me ;-) Thanks for the support and you have a great weekend too! :)

Mountain Woman said...

Dori,

I have an award for you on my photo blog.

Dori said...

Mountain Woman,
Thanks so much! What a wonderful way to start the day. You're the best! :-)