Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Casting My Vote

I just wanted to give an update on my absentee ballot. I had written before about waiting for it to come. Well I finally did get my ballot, but it was a long road to get it here.

When I wrote about it before, I was hoping that it would arrive that week. Well, it didn’t come, but I did receive a new voter precinct card with my married name on it about two weeks later. I was puzzled. I did see one bright spot in that my precinct card had arrived, so I was glad that they seemed to have the address right. The clock started ticking loudly in my ears at this point. It was getting into October a bit and I still didn’t have my ballot.

So I called the local voting office back home again and explained my situation. I was able to talk to a nice lady who was very helpful. She looked at their records and saw that my married name was on the voter rolls and that they hadn’t mistakenly sent my ballot to my former address. So that was good. But who knows? :-) My first ballot is out there floating in the ether somewhere.

Anyway, we both sprung into action. The voting lady told me that they could issue me another ballot and cancel the old one. I had to fax them a statement saying that I would destroy the other ballot if it came and then I had to sign the letter. Well, that first ballot hasn’t come and if it EVER does, you can be sure that I will destroy the heck out of it. LOL. I don’t want any troubles like that. And anyway, I , deep down in my soul believe in one person…one vote. I kind of believe that it just slipped through the cracks and never got mailed.

So back to my story, we don’t have a fax machine, but we were going to use a faxing program that is on Brit Boy’s computer. Well of course when the time came, it didn’t work. I had to call the voting lady back and ask if I could send her the scanned statement by email instead. She had to go and ask her manager to make sure and then she gave me the go ahead. Well, let’s just say that Murphy’s Law was in full force ;-) At that VERY moment, our broadband connection went down. After a few choice, colorful words, all that Brit Boy and I could do was laugh. So we switched the broadband off and on and it came back to life. It is so temperamental sometimes. Then, I kid you not, my email provider had glitches…..Ugh!!!! LOL. So I said it like my mom would have said it, “I’m gonna pray over it.” And I walked away from it for a minute. To let you peek into my mind a bit, in my head, I was singing the song “Lovely Day” by Bill Withers to myself to calm my nerves. LOL. This song always puts me into a good frame of mind. I was not gonna be beaten.



Finally, we were able to get into the email, and I sent the statement and did my happy dance :-) Since Murphy’s Law was kicking my backside that day, I called and made sure that the email had gone through and that my statement was okay. I know I made the phone company so rich that day :-) The voting lady did receive it and it was fine. I thanked her so much for her help.

So they mailed another one to me and I finally got it. But I wondered if this was perhaps my first ballot. There was no real way to tell from the postmark. I had to save my happy dance for later. With the time difference, I had to wait until after 2pm my time in order to call her. We were old friends by now :-) She asked me what the number was next to my name and I told her and added that there was an asterisk next to it. She said that this was for sure my new ballot. She had added the asterisk in order to differentiate them in the system and I felt good because with me mentioning that without her prompting, it showed that I was playing fair. I thanked her that one last time and felt like we should be sharing a drink or something after all of our talks :-)

I finally was able to mail off my absentee ballot last week and it felt good. I have always voted and I never take it for granted because my grandparents and even my parents for a time, could not cast a vote. So it is always a duty that I carry with me for them. And you know, this experience of having such a hard time in trying to cast my vote, it just makes me appreciate it even more. Even though no one was physically standing in my way to bar me from voting, circumstances were making it seem like I was being kept from it. This was an odd feeling. And these are the times when I feel isolated from back home…times when I can’t do what I need to do and want to do. I will say that through it all I held my cool really well and the amount of laughs at the annoyances are letting me know that I’m learning to release and let go a whole lot better :-)

Happy voting to all of my fellow citizens back home and around the world! :-)

22 comments:

Christine said...

I'm glad you were able to vote. What a hassle you went through to do it!

Elizabeth Harper said...

You did want to vote pretty bad didn't you?

Yea for that! I mailed mine off too.

Dusted and done as they say over here...I just posted my thoughts on the election...

Dori said...

Christine,
Yeah, it was definitely a challenge, but worth it. Thanks for visiting me :)

Elizabeth,
Yeah, I did want to vote and it made it even more urgent because it looked like I wasn't going to be able to do it :-) I'm glad that you got yours mailed off too.

Ivanhoe said...

Oh Dori, what a story. I'm glad you are so determined :o)
This is my first election (presidential) since I became a citizen only last year. I cannot wait to cast my vote :o)

Alicia aka "Fashiona" said...

I am soooo happy you made the effort even though it was hassle. You are right though, people died so we could exercise our right.

alicia
http://todaystyle.today.com/

Cricket said...

Hey...I love the song. It is very uplifting. I had not heard it in a while. Isn't it neat how a song can just lift you up.

I am so glad you got to vote. I can relate. I have voted each year since I was eligible. It is in my blood to do so. ha.

The Fitness Diva said...

Good for you, getting that vote in!

I will be at the polls next week with bells on! It's going to be a very exciting day for once! :)

A Valdese Blogger said...

There is early voting in North Carolina, people have been for a couple of weeks now, & apparently the turn out is pretty good. I was going to wait 'till next week, I suppose because of some engrained tradition nonesense I have, but the more I think about it the more I think I'll just go ahead vote. Glad you got everything worked out.

Gypsy at Heart said...

Good for you for persevering Dori! I cast my vote too and it was for Obama last week in an early voting center. I felt so good about it I just cannot even begin to explain. It was my first time voting also. There was something that felt monumental about my ability to do so. Like you, I appreciated it all the more for having the right to do so.

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

wow you had to go through a lot to vote! It is wonderful that you appreciate and take your voting seriously. I am going to do early voting tomorrow. It is still taking an hour or more here in Kansas City to get your vote in (and I have to take a very wild two year old with me)but I am a big believer in the power of one!

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

BTW-I just passed on an award to you.

Jacqueline said...

I did the early voting thing and it took all of 20 minutes in my town...I appreciate your determination! This is a very exciting time.

Sue said...

That's a great story! It was really nice of that "voting lady" to go to all that trouble. There are still nice people in the world. And it was great of you to go through all that to vote!

Dori said...

Ivanhoe,
I'm so excited for you :-) Congratulations! May you always remember your first presidential vote :-)

Alicia,
It's so true. I figured that I had to give it my best shot. It's so important :)

Cricket,
Yeah, that song is one of my all-time faves. Music is powerful and can just take your mind to higher ground :-) And voting is something to hold dearly indeed.

Fitness Diva,
Yeah, I was in it to win it! LOL. It is definitely an exciting time. Even over here, I can feel the vibes :-)

Valdese Blogger,
Yeah, I've seen the early voting lines on tv from over here. It's amazing! Quite a few of my friends back home have early voted too. Good luck with your early voting! All the best :-)

Gypsy at Heart,
Good for you in return on the early voting! I know that it was a great feeling, especially since it was your first time voting :) I know what you mean. There is just something about voting that really makes me feel the "citizen" thing and seeing everyone else makes me feel a part of something greater. My extra hoops that I had to jump through have made me even more appreciative than before :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.

Health Nut Wannabee Mom,
It was a winding road to cast that vote, but I'm glad that I saw it through :-) I'm so glad to hear that you're doing early voting too, even with your two year old. Bless your heart :) My power of one salutes your power of one. And thanks for the award! I am honored. Thanks my buddy :)

Jacqueline,
Wow, that is great that you got through that fast. And for me determination was the thing. LOL. I wasn't giving up. It is definitely an exciting time. Brit Boy and I are gonna stay up all night over here to watch it all unfold on election night! :-)

Sue,
You are right, there are still nice people in the world. It was a great reminder. And the prize at the end was to have the chance to cast my vote from all of these miles away from home :-)

Anne said...

It warms my heart to see someone work so hard to make sure to get their vote heard. So many people wont even cross the street to vote. Good for you!

Bas - Istanbul Expat said...

Good job you voted!

I just wanted to say... You got tagged! http://www.basbasbas.com/blog/2008/10/31/the-inheritance-of-loss/

Jewelry Rockstar said...

Yea, Yea, Yea, for you! That song "lovely day" and "oooo Child things are gonna get better"

Jewelry Rockstar said...

always makes me feel better.

(to finish my statement)

beeker said...

I think it is great that you are doing everything to vote. So many take it for granted.

Dori said...

Anne,
Thanks for stopping by and yeah, I just felt that I had to follow through. Have a great weekend! :)

Bas,
Yep, I got my vote in! Great tag...I'll be doing it in the next couple of days :)

Jewelry Rockstar,
I love both of those songs too. There is just something about certain songs that can brush off those blues :)

Beeker,
Thanks. It felt good to get it done at last :-)

Mountain Woman said...

What a struggle but some days are just like that but I'm so glad you persevered because it is so important to vote. Hurray for you!

Dori said...

Mountain Woman,
You're right...voting is so so important :-)