Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Concert

I’m finally getting a chance to post about the Stevie Wonder concert. Sorry for the delay, it’s been a hectic couple of days for us, but now I’m able to get back here to share. Thanks for coming back to visit. :-)

So we went to the Stevie Wonder concert in London on Thursday night and it was simply the most sublime experience. Stevie Wonder is a living legend and in his case, this description totally fits. I have always loved him for being the peace-loving man that he is and for his playfulness. Many times during his performance he would joke about things. He just has a beautiful spirit. He inspires me. And he is a glorious singer. There is just something in his voice that I can’t describe that just makes you feel good. But you all know about Stevie’s voice…we just love him. :-)

In the lobby area of the O2, there is this light fixture that I just love and I have had a photo of it here before, but this time, it was illuminated. It flashes blue and just glows at night. I love it. Here’s a photo.



We walked around the outer concourse and soaked up the atmosphere of all of the other Stevie Wonder fans. I love this area. It is full of restaurants and is always vibrant when there is something going on at the O2. As I have mentioned before, it is like a little village to a point and it is great for people-watching.

Once they opened the gates to go into the arena, we made our way to the food stands. They have some good food in there. Brit Boy had a hotdog and I had some Chinese food. I had shrimp chow mein. Here’s a photo. It was really tasty.



The concert was great. Stevie had his daughter Aisha there as one of his backup singers. She sang a song on her own too. She is the inspiration for his hit “Isn’t She Lovely”. I remember hearing that she was the inspiration before, but it was just cool to see her in the flesh.

At one point during the concert he said that he had started out touring back in 2006, but he cancelled all of his shows for a while because he was so torn apart by his mother’s passing. He said that he had lost the first love of his life when she died. But then he decided to get back out on the road and make his mother proud, because he knows that she would want him to go on. He said that he realized that she would always be with him and that gives him strength. His mother passed in May 2006, the day after his birthday. He said he found comfort in having spent his birthday with her. So now he is out there again, sharing his gift with the world. :-)

Since the concert was on the anniversary of 9-11, he asked for a moment of silence to remember those who died.

Brit Boy and I were just thrilled to be at the concert. We would sing along and poke each other because we couldn’t believe that we were there. Stevie played a lot of his hits and the crowd just loved it! He just kept launching into songs and I kept saying to myself, “ I forgot that one…wow!” He has just made some great, great music and you just forget that so many favorite songs are by him. It was hard to get a photo in the dark on the camera phone, but here are a couple of blurry photos anyway of all the fun.


My two favorite Stevie Wonder songs are “Lately” and “As”. So when he played the first few notes of “Lately”, I just had a chill down my spine. Oh my gosh! I love, love, love that song and to see Stevie Wonder sing this live was one of the greatest memories of my life now. His voice was just sublime as it rang out around the arena. And I had to squeeze Brit Boy’s hand, because it was just one of those moments where you say, “Can life get any better?” :-) It was a wonderful moment and I tell you, my mind just went elsewhere for those moments. I was floating. I guess you can tell I liked it.

The whole concert was just great and Stevie Wonder and his whole band are just true artists. Stevie even had someone to help him stand on his piano bench at one point in his performance. He is a true performer.

He ended the concert with my other favorite song, “As”. Behind him, during the concert, he had different images on a screen and this just added to the vibe. So when he ended with “As”, the screen said like the song says, he’ll be loving us always. And Stevie, we’ll be loving you too!

15 comments:

Mike Golch said...

yhaks for this posting,I enjoyed the light.

Dori said...

Mike,
Yeah, the light is cool. I stood there kind of in a trance watching it. LOL.

LizzyT said...

I am glad to hear you had such a great time. I bet the atmosphere was electric.

Anonymous said...

Dori,
Thanks for taking us to the concert! I don't know anyone who doesn't love Stevie. You're right, he has a beautiful soul and he always seems to enjoy sharing his gift. Glad you were able to drink in all of that goodness! :-)

Dori said...

Lizzy T,
Oh yes, the atmosphere was amazing!

Jacqueline,
He is truly gifted as you know. I just love him. I'm glad that I could take you all along!

Dori :-)

Anonymous said...

Great pics! I'd love to see a concert of his as well...pure talent.

Ivanhoe said...

Sounds wonderful :o) Wish I was there...

Anonymous said...

I saw Stevie Wonder for the first time when he was performing here in Detroit. It was about 6 weeks or so ago. It was an incredible night I will never forget. He sang non stop for almost 2 hours. I am so happy to hear that you loved the show. Keep up the good work with your blog.

Sara said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening...one you won't soon forget!

Unknown said...

Wish I could have joined you! That sounds like it was a great concert. But I expect nothing less from Stevie!

Dori said...

Signe,
He is definitely a pure talent. I'm glad that you like the pics.

Ivanhoe,
It was simply wonderful!

Crazynlovemom,
I'm glad you enjoyed Stevie too when you saw him. And yeah, he sang for two hours here too, but it didn't seem that long. It seemed like it was over in a short while. I guess that is when you know you are having fun. :-) I'm so glad that you like my blog.

Sara,
It was great. Brit Boy and I are still talking about it. LOL. We had a Stevie singalong on Sunday.

Mekhismom,
Stevie was fabulous! Seeing him and seeing Prince twice last year have to be the best concerts I have ever gone to.

S. A. Hart said...

Hi! As an American who previously lived in England, I always enjoy reading your blog. It makes me "homesick". :-) Because of this, I've decided to give your blog an award. Please see my blog for complete details! Congratulations!

Dori said...

S.A. Hart,
I'm so glad that you like my blog and I'm glad that I can give you glimpses of England again. :-) And thank you SO much for the award. I accept it as an honor.

Ritchelle said...

I am glad you had so much fun!

Dori said...

Ritchiela,
Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, it was a great time and I'll never forget it. :-)