Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Magic Roundabout

The other day, Brit Boy and I went into Swindon, which is the biggest town in Wiltshire. We had some errands to run. We live quite a ways out in the countryside, so it is always fun to see what is going on in a more populated area. Swindon was a railway hub during the 19th century and is now a great historical landmark for the rail history of England. It’s an interesting place.

One of the things that I fear though in Swindon is the Magic Roundabout. The Magic Roundabout is this huge roundabout that is actually five roundabouts surrounding one in the center. So there is traffic coming from every direction. And since I am not from here and we don’t have roundabouts a whole lot where I come from, it scares the heck out of me! (laugh) The first time that I went through it I held my breath the whole way and closed my eyes. I wasn’t driving thank goodness. But now I can go through it breathing and with my eyes open. However, I do unconsciously grip the door as we make our way through it all.

Here’s a video of what a trip around the Magic Roundabout is like. The video is so like being there.

12 comments:

Elizabeth Harper said...

I love roundabouts! That one might be a little bit of a challenge though.

Greetings from Atlanta! I'm back for a short time and thought about you today in the makeup section of Wal-Mart.

Look for an email from me as I recover from airport drama.

A Valdese Blogger said...

I remember being in England & Scotland and having to look both ways twice before crossing the street, 'cause I was never sure where things were coming from. Nice video, I think it might take me some time to figure that roundabout out.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, I got dizzy just watching. I'm sure with a lot of practice, I'd be able to brave it. Thanks for the ride.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hi, Dori! I wanted to stop back in and say thanks for the nice words you left at Win a Book. We're trying our best -- so if you come across something we miss, feel free to drop us an e-mail and tell us about it.

Dori said...

Elizabeth,
Yeah, that roundabout is a challenge for sure. I hope you picked up some goodies in the makeup section. I will be watching for your email. Enjoy your time back home.

Dori :-)

Dori said...

Valdese,
I do the same thing, especially in London, I look both ways twice too and sometimes once more for good measure. lol. Glad you enjoyed the video. Thanks for stopping by.

Dori :-)

Dori said...

Jacqueline,
It is a wild ride. Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for commenting.

Dori :-)

Dori said...

Susan,
I will certainly be dropping in to Win A Book a lot. I love books and you have a lot of great info there at your blog. I will definitely email you if I spot anything. Thanks for stopping by again.

Dori :-)

Zee Harrison said...

Dori,
I know the Magic Roundabout very well having driven round it myself several times. I must say that as much as the video is good it doesn't really show just how scary it really is trying to go across and around this awful roundabout! I'm surprised that there haven't been major accidents there. Whoever designed it needs to be rapped on the knuckles.
Dori, that is the top ten scariest driving experiences in England.
Watching it made the true horrors come all flooding back.

Should I say 'thank you' for reminding me of this?!!! Thank you!
Zee

The Silver Age Sara said...

It reminds me of all the circles in Washington D.C. They are really scary!

Dori said...

Zee,
It is terrifying. I really don't like it when we have to go across the middle of it. lol. I am so glad though that I could give you a pleasant reminder of it. (wink) Thanks for stopping by.

Dori :-)

Dori said...

Mountain,
I haven't made it to D.C. yet, but I guess that I will have to close my eyes there too if I'm not driving. (smile)

Dori :-)